Welcome to my little blog all about raising a child with Autism and raising awareness

My son Connor was diagnosed with Autism at age 3. Now, at age 5 the diagnosis clearly takes a back seat to his fantastic personality. His sense of humor breaks through the Autism that has robbed him of his ability to get a grasp on other emotions that come naturally to the typical child. This blog is about one Moms perspective. The ups, downs, fears, joys and hopes that I and so many other Moms and Dads have from day to day when you have a child with Autism. So... read and learn a little, laugh a little, maybe even cry a little, hope a little and shout out with joy along with me!



Saturday, August 27, 2011

A Means To An End

Connors first week at school is going well. VERY WELL. In fact, his teacher told me that she wanted to use his aide to help the other children in the classroom from time to time since he is able to work well independently. GREAT! You bet! My aide is your aide, at least until the money starts to run out and then we will talk about only having her there a half day at which point I will remind you of how you thought he was able to work without her. :)

A means to an end.....Mrs. G, Connors teacher told me how suprised she was that he fit in/worked so well with the other children. It wasn't at all what she thought it would be (uh-huh, I do recall mentioning that) and that she was so glad that she listened to Paulette who also said he would do well at this school (uh-huh I said that too). She felt that this school was absolutely the best fit for him hands down (uh-huh I definately recall saying that).  This is what I would like to have responded with: Yes Mrs.G he seems to really be doing well here, but I kind of had that figured out and consulted with his preschool teachers and director half a million times prior to signing him up here. You see, I feel I know him best. We have history. Heck, i've known him since he was concieved, we go way back. That and the fact that I am a stay at home mom and I with him practically 24/7. Share the aide? Why sure! Didn't you know that she is really here for your comfort? I knew that you would figure out that we didn't need her there 5 days a week 6 1/2 hours a day. In fact, most of the things that I have done were for your comfort level, the principals and the rest of the staff. You are smart people though and you will continue to learn from my son, just as I have. I can wait.

Paulette (my sons preschool director) is every bit the experienced professional. People SHOULD listen to her opionion. Thank God I did.I am grateful that  Mrs. G. did but some mean little part of me says that it would be nice to be credited with having some reliable input though and a brain. You know what? My son is doing well totally mainstreamed, ready to go to school, visably interested, participating with the others, and that is worth more that I can concieve of. Its all just a means to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment